Thursday, August 30, 2012

Kitchen update: paint still peeling!


In my last update about my kitchen remodel, I had chipped off as much old paint as I could from the backsplash areas and a ceiling beam.  I left it at that for a few weeks until yesterday when I looked up at the ceiling beam and saw more paint peeling!  I realized that I could not simply keep chipping off paint and spackling because if I do and paint over it, obviously more old paint will chip underneath and it would look horrible.

Option 1: strip off all of the paint, then paint over with the new paint.

I have too much of a creative mind for option 1!  I kept rolling things over in my mind...

Option 2: Cover the whole beam in new wallpaper that flatters the color and style I'm going with.

How cohesive could that really look though?

A third option hit me like a wrecking ball of creative genius!

Option 3: Cover the whole beam in three wood planks, making it look like a solid wood beam.

I immediately fell in love with the picture in my mind and felt the other options completely inferior.  I shared this idea with my mom and sister.  My mom liked the wallpaper idea, my sister suggested a vinyl, faux wood covering.  Right now I prefer real wood, but my next step needs to be scouting the hardware store to physically see my options and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment